Pages

My Story

Growing up in conservative West Michigan, I watched lesbian and gay friends and family members struggle to be accepted and be treated equally. There are gains and losses in this fight every day, and it is vital for LGBT individuals and their straight allies to stand up and to pay attention.

18 January 2012

This Is What I'm Fighting For

This video encapsulates what I'm fighting for, and why. Wonder why I'm so impassioned about gay rights? I cannot stand the inequality, the suicides, the bullying,  the hate. This is about people's lives.

Maybe you consider my right to marry unaffected because I'm straight.

Maybe you considered my protection against discrimination uninfringed upon because I'm straight.

Maybe you consider my acceptance in church, representation of relationships like mine in hollywood, ability to assume you all know my sexuality, knowing my parents won't throw me out of the house, knowing that I won't be shot for my sexuality, are all reasons for me to be less passionate about gay rights.

Because I have the privilege. Many of you reading this have the privilege.

Wrong. We are all affected. While one person is in chains, so are we all. 

I absolutely hate that I have this innate privilege that others, just as deserving as I, don't have.

My sister's getting married this summer. Only--she can't legally get married in Oregon. Not only that, she can never have a normal life. And it's because of people and institutions that have the ability to change.

And it isn't because she isn't normal. She's human, just like me.

Please, join the movement. 

Watch:

No comments:

Post a Comment